Advice for Work Experience Organisers
Quick summary sheet - 12 point checklist
- See how clean and tidy (obstruction free) the workplace is.
- Check out the fire precautions, extinguishers, signs, alarms, fire drills etc. This is essential.
- Assess the lighting. Is it bright, dull, just right etc.
- How are the electrics? Look out for loose or faulty wiring, cracked or broken sockets or plugs etc.
- Is any machinery in good working condition and properly guarded?
- Assess the noise levels from quiet to deafening.
- Is there a need for personal, protective equipment (ear protection, goggles, gloves, heavy boots etc.) and is it available in different sizes?
- How suitable is the seating at or near work stations?
- Check out toilets and washing facilities.
- Check out safety signs (fire signs, exit signs, other signs appropriate to the nature of the work etc.) and information posters including Health and safety law: What you should know.
- Find out what else will be done by this provider for your young people?
- Finally, how happy does the workforce seem? Will the young people for whom you are arranging work experience placements fit in with the regime and enjoy a positive experience in this particular workplace?
If so, record them in writing. If you make more than one visit, compare your findings.
Print a copy of the Checklist ( PDF 31kb)